Untreated Hearing Loss is Among The 5 Most Common Health Problems for Seniors
As people age, health problems become more and more of a concern. It is hard for many to look at these issues and oftentimes people are left in denial of the process of aging. But did you know that it is more effective to tackle the issues head on? Unbeknownst to many, untreated hearing loss is a big issue for seniors. Problems caused by untreated hearing loss include dementia, Alzheimer’s, falls, loneliness, isolation, depression, hypertension, increased hospitalizations, and much more. In this blog, we go over the five most common health problems for seniors, and surprisingly, untreated hearing loss is a big one!
- Arthritis: The number one common health problem that people 65 years and older contend with is arthritis. This probably comes as no surprise. It affects close to 50 percent of all adults over 65 and leads to a lower quality of life for some. Activity is the best thing for arthritis, so work with your doctor to come up with a plan!
- Heart Disease: Heart disease is the leading killer of adults over 65. It affects 37 percent of men and 26 percent of women 65 and older. High blood pressure and high cholesterol both increase the chances of stroke and heart disease. The fix for this? Exercise, eat well, and sleep well. Did you know hearing loss is also associated with hypertension and heart disease? So, it pays to take care of your heart and your ears!
- Cancer: Cancer, after heart disease, is the second leading killer of adults over 65. 28 percent of men and 21 percent of women over 65 are living with cancer. But, if caught early, many forms of cancer are treatable. Make sure to get the routine tests needed like mammograms, colonoscopies, skin checks, prostate exams, etc.
- Respiratory Diseases: COPD and other respiratory problems are the third most common cause of death among people 65 and older. 10 percent of men and 13 percent of women are living with asthma, whereas 10 percent of men and 11 percent of women are living with chronic bronchitis or emphysema. Chronic respiratory diseases make you more susceptible to pneumonia and other infections. It is imperative that you get the right medication and use your oxygen as instructed.
- Hearing Loss: Hearing Loss is the third most common chronic health problem for seniors! Did you know that untreated hearing loss can lead to Alzheimer’s, dementia, falls, and increased hospitalizations? It is also associated with cardiovascular events, high blood pressure, loneliness, isolation, and depression. Getting your hearing checked, and any treatment you may need, will go a long way in not only increasing your quality of life, but also preventing any common health problems that go along with untreated hearing loss.
Well, there you have it. Do these common health problems surprise you? Did you realize that untreated hearing loss was such an issue? Just like an annual physical, it is important to get your hearing tested every year!