10 Tips for Maintaining Brain Health
Along with keeping your muscles and bones physically fit, maintaining brain health is extremely important as well. Brain health, and keeping your most important organ feeling young, is the key to a long and happy life. We have some tips in today’s blog on the best way to maintain brain health.
Brain Health: What to Know
- Eat Right: A diet that is good for the heart, is also good for the brain. This is because the brain needs a lot of great blood flow for oxygen. Dark skinned fruits and veggies will give you great protective antioxidants.
- Exercise: Is very important for all systems of the body. It promotes blood flow to all your organs and is therefore great for your brain. Make sure to get AT LEAST 30 minutes of exercise a day for brain health with a mix of cardio and strength training.
- Challenge yourself: Practice exercising your brain with puzzles and problems such as sudoku and crossword puzzles.
- Stay social: Don’t isolate yourself and be inactive. This can lead to depression which can cause dementia and other issues. Make sure to interact frequently with friends and loved ones for great brain health.
- Reduce levels of stress: If you are consistently stressed out, it can unleash certain hormones which can eventually harm your ability to remember things.
- Get plenty of sleep: If you are deprived of sleep, it is going to affect your brain. Make sure to get, at a minimum, 7 hours.
- Be present: Being interrupted can interfere with your memory formation.
- Get a hobby: Having a purpose can foster positive attitudes and emotions.
- Meditate: This helps reduce stress, keeps you in the present moment, and gives you a sense of well-being.
- Get Hearing Aids: Did you know that hearing loss leads to dementia and Alzheimer’s? This is because of how hard the brain must work to decode speech, it grows tired and overused, eventually leading to deterioration. So, getting a hearing aid if you notice symptoms of dementia is a great way to slow the process down.